Every Saturday I go to a pet store and buy mice, rats and crickets for my assortment of critters. And every Saturday I stare longingly at the ferrets and/or cockatiels. A worker happened to catch me staring at the birds and told me there would be a bird show on Sunday. So I thought "hey, that'd be fun to go to", so I told my dad when we got home. Now before I try and make myself out as miss goodie twoshoes (although I know none of you would ever believe for a moment) I'll tell you that my evil little brain was scheming. My dad had been thinking about getting a bird for a while and if I had kept my mouth shut it probably would've stayed that way. But I'm always up for a new pet. :) So I planted that evil little seed in his brain much to the chagrin of my mother and waited to see what would happen. I had the wedding to go to but Mira went with him (my accomplice in the matter) to make sure he didn't forget why he was going. I have to admit though that I honestly thought he wouldn't get one because mum was so against another pet (my dad had also said to shoot him if he got another pet........... funeral will be held this Sunday). When we got home that night, there, to my surprise, perched on Mira's finger was not a cockatiel (even more to my surprise and disappointment), but a parrotlet. It is the world's smallest known parrot only reaching about 6in in length. (When we saw the bird Bekah and I ran for the shotgun at the same time)
He's small, travels well (and lightly) and doesn't screech like most parrots so he's a good bird for us. We still haven't figured out a name for him and are trying to teach him how to say "hello" (so far we've gotten him to chirp). He likes to nestle in your hair but he poops all the time so only Mira is brave (or stupid) enough to leave him there for very long. Oh yeah, and they live 20-30 years so he'll be passed down to Mira. Welcome to the family flutterbudget!
-Phyllis+
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
Hey what do you all think of this for my blog's name: "Critters galore!(and surviving highschool)"
haha. excellent post! very creative wording.
I was going to suggest that you change your title...
that one sounds good. or maybe something like: "critters and good grades are hard to mix"
Poor Dad.
Poor Mom!
(see kids, this is what happens when you let a snake in the house...it becomes a slippery slope...)
I think you should name him after a small gun (like Walther or Wesson or Magnum) to play off the points in your blog post and, of course, his little size. Kinda violent, I guess, but a good story to tell people!
haha. oh your poor mum! how could you?
well written post. i find it hilarious that you didn't get the bird you were wanting. what's even more hilarious is wondering how your own children will repay you for all these kinds of things...i hope i'm around when you have kids. it's going to be great. ;)
YES! good name. I'm soon going to be finding out the surviving highschool thing. I know it doesn't seem I'm that old, but I am:) We should just call you miss critter or somethin'.
Well you could base the parrot his name on his color...Just an idea
Ugh. I had to type "exingra" to post this. almost makes me not post...
Anyway. Name him...
capone? as in al capone? I have a very small mind in this costume. . .
See u l8r!
Hippie or farm girl I wonder?
Sorry, that was me. I was signed in as the wrong person. ANYWHO. Cool that you got a bird. I'm off to buy some black clothes. lol
It's not Felicities fault (I know I spelled that wrong, I just had to). She wasn't even there.
I think you mean "to my chagrin and my mother's lament". That would be accurate.
Yes, Merry. But before we have the joy of watching her offspring, remember that I and likely you will have to watch vigilantly for such seeds of dissension being planted in our own children. Let this be a lesson.
Heya Felicity. It was great talking to you yesterday. Hope all is going well!
Well i've been to busy for my own good.
Hey Fe,
Sorry your not feeling well. GET BETTER! Name of the blog should be as follows, "Fe's flabergasted fables of not so furry fellows of short stature". I think it rolls off the tongue nicely.
Jake
You should do a new post sometime soon...It's been a really long time...
4 weeks, to be exact
That's worse than me.
now its been 5 weeks.
Gosh. I know she isn't dead because i see her every week at church:(
Post a Comment