
I've been exploring my neighborhood (and beyond) as of lately and found a field full of interesting things/critters. It's only an acre and a half wide but it's teeming with all sorts of wild life (not to mention it's right next to a farm); the ever-endangered Gopher Tortoise, Six-lined Racerunner (which I thought lived only in Texas and those other desert places), Rhinoceros beetles, rabbits, many different kinds of snakes, and lots of other things I'm sure have escaped my notice. The only problem with this little spot of paradise is that it's marked to be developed. I didn't think they could since it's illegal to mess with Gopher Tortoises but mum says they're

aloud to pay a fee to bury them!! Can you believe that? What's the point of having them on the endangered list when all it takes to wipe them out are pieces of paper?!? And have any of you ever seen a racerunner (for those who live in FL)? They look like skinks but they have leathery skin, no blue tail and are twice as fast (out of the six I spotted I only managed to catch a newborn no longer than my finger (their tails take up the majority of their length)). Mum also said they can relocate them which is what I'm hoping they'll do. There are around 42 holes of various sizes; most of them are empty and over grown. One hole was so large Penny was able to walk into it (she wasn't to happy about that)! I've been keeping tabs on them to see which ones are lived in and I think only two are. Tortoises live alone so it's probably an adult and maybe a juvenile. It saddens me to see property developed; I remember when our neighborhood was surround by woods and fields; now it's a bunch of cookie-cutter houses.
I hope Jesus comes soon. Or we'll be sitting in our own.... well, never mind.
+Phyllis-
9 comments:
You posted!
No seriously, You posted!
Wow!
You posted!
Cute kids.
While reading this post, damaris said "she is such a green girl!"
don't ask me what that means.
*cheers heard round the world*
YAY!! You updated!!
turtles and salamanders...cool. Around here we have red newts (or red efts whatever you want to call them) and mud puppies. (a black salamander with yellow spots...they can get crazy big.)
So the red eft is our school mascot. And we formed something called RESART. It stands for Red Eft Search And Rescue Team. You see, those little guys have a tendency to go hang out in the middle of the road after a rain. So when we go on a walk we help the little guys across the road and onto some moss.
Homeschooling is fun you know? You can do lots of crazy things.
Aww, sherlock, I almost had first comment and then you come along....
lol jk
Nice, Felicity! :) I used to catch lizards and frogs when I was younger. Neat stuff! I always liked the green anole lizards, because they were always pretty when they were actually green.
They're not salamanders you hooser! They're call six-lined racerunners, a type of reptile. Salamanders are amphibians.
But I still love you :)
Yeah. Especialy like climbing your basketball hoop with no difficulty and hang on the rim. hahaha! Finally a post. off to school now, oh tiredly off to school.
oh
lol
omgsh felicity, you and my sis mary should meet. you remind me of mary sooooooo much. i miss you!!!!
--sarah from sarasota
OMGOSH SARAH!!! how r u??? I'm sorry I haven't written, I'll send one Monday. :)
Post a Comment